Click on the image for more pictures
Listen to Martin Reese play his A5
Listen to Ray Gardaya
play a brand new A5
Listen to me play Ray's
If you are lucky I may have a mandolin for
sale available immediately.
- A shape, F sound holes
- Preferred timbers for this model are
Spruce top Tasmanian Myrtle or
European Maple back and sides, or
Spruce top. Particularly good results have been obtained with
Carpathian Spruce (a variety of European Spruce) and European Maple.
- Hardshell case is included
- Ebony fingerboard with abalone dots, radiused to 12"
- Neck width at the nut 28mm (30mm available as an option)
- Wooden tuning knobs (Ebony,
Gidgee or Ironwood)
- Wooden bindings and pickguard
- Modified Brekke bridge
- Engraved James tailpiece
- Loud, crisp and clear but sweet sounding
with slightly less emphasis in the bass than oval soundhole mandolins..
- A Coombe A5 is not a bright, aggressive sounding bluegrass
cannon. It is designed to be a very good general purpose
mandolin, with some of the sweetness,
warmth and sustain of the oval hole models, but with an F hole
sound, and with the typical characteristics of an F hole mandolin -
i.e. foreward projection, large headroom and deep rich throaty tone.
It is structurally
completely different from the oval hole mandolins. Different
body, different arching and graduations, different bracing and
longer neck, a true F soundhole mandolin. The result has been
improved tone and responsiveness which is up there with the very
best of the F soundhole mandolins.
Many options are available. Each
instrument is tailored to each individual customer.
Email me for more